King of the Birds, Lord of the Skies

King of the Birds, Lord of the Skies
Gather ye rose buds while ye may, old time is still a flying;
and this same rose that you see today, tomorrow will be dying.
CarpeDiem: Seize the Day!
- Dead Poets Society

Friday, March 23, 2007

35 Soon!!! Half-time?

Yes, I am turning 35 in just about another 21 hours.
Hmm...35 years, or 420 months, or 12,775 days, or 306,600 hours, wow!
I have survived, I have lived to eat another meal without been eaten. What a discovery!!!
And if you consider the average lifespan of a male Singaporean to be around 70 years, I am about to hear the half-time whistle from the Great Referee of Life.

And as Bob Buford emphasized in his book "Half Time", I quote,
"One of the most common characteristics of a person nearing the end of the first half (of the game of life) is that unquenchable desire to move from Success to Significance"

I believe the second half of my life can be better than the first. Much better!
I believe this is an important time of transition, a time when I move beyond the first half of the game of life.
I believe it's a time of revitalization, and for catching a vision for living the second half.
I believe this is the half where life can be lived at its most rewarding!

As I embark on my personal renaissance, I am guided to lift up some fundamental questions, like:

What am I really good at?
What do I want to do from here?
What/ Who is most important to me?
What do I want to be remembered for?
If my life were absolutely perfect, what and how would it look like?

I do not have all the answers I want now, but at this point, I do remember a poem:

Instead of counting candles,

Or tallying the years,
Contemplate your blessings,
As your birthday nears.

Consider special people
Who love you and who care,
And others who’ve enriched your life
Just by being there.

Think about the memories
Passing years can never mar,
Experiences great and small
That have made you who you are.

Another year is a happy gift,
So cut your cake, and say,
"Instead of counting birthdays,
I count blessings every day!"


That's it for now. Much later...

No comments: