King of the Birds, Lord of the Skies

King of the Birds, Lord of the Skies
Gather ye rose buds while ye may, old time is still a flying;
and this same rose that you see today, tomorrow will be dying.
CarpeDiem: Seize the Day!
- Dead Poets Society

Sunday, May 6, 2007

Turning Response into Results

Over the years I've learned to challenge myself to turn my response to the ideas & information I receive into results. According to the Bible, the first couple, Adam and Eve, was instructed to be fruitful - to produce results. Fruitful is kind of an interesting word; it denotes abundance. Here's what I think fruitful, abundance and productivity mean - to go to work on producing more than you need for yourself.

I think we fulfill that command given to us by being productive, to produce far more than we need for ourselves, by blessing others, blessing our community & nation & blessing our enterprise. I challenge myself to produce more ideas than I need for myself so I can share & give my ideas away. Produce more in terms of substance & money & treasure & all things valuable to human beings, far more than I need for myself.

I am reminded of R.G. LeTourneau's story, the man who built the big earth moving machines. It was his goal to someday give away 90% of his income. Giving away far more than anyone could possibly imagine. 90% is an awful lot to give away, but you should have seen the 10% that was left. Once abundance starts to come, once someone becomes incredibly productive, it's amazing what the numbers turn out to be. It's amazing what it finally totals.

So make sure when we are given the opportunity, we will turn our response into results, information into impact, & convictions into contributions, & thus the chance to fulfill the command to be more fruitful & more giving.

"The miracle of the seed and the soil is not available by affirmation; it is only available by labor."
- Jim Rohn

No comments: