King of the Birds, Lord of the Skies

King of the Birds, Lord of the Skies
Gather ye rose buds while ye may, old time is still a flying;
and this same rose that you see today, tomorrow will be dying.
CarpeDiem: Seize the Day!
- Dead Poets Society

Friday, July 13, 2007

Good Sales Person

Good Sales Person (by Ron White)

Last week I walked into a shop that sells Afghan rugs - and not some imitation but the real deal. These were genuine rugs hand made in Afghanistan. As I was talking to the shop owner, I was looking at five or six rugs that were all the same size and style - only the colors varied a little. I asked him, 'How much for these rugs?' Because I knew they were all the same price (and turns out that they were).

He could have said, '$190 each.' But he didn't, he did what I wish I could get more sales people to do and that is not get overly giddy at the first buying sign (questions are buying signs) and blurt out the answer. Instead, ask a question to allow the prospect to feel as if the buying decision was his idea. For example, this rug salesman didn't give me the price - he said, 'Which one do you like?' By asking this question he was:

1. Maintaining control of the conversation - if you give the price then they talk next about anything they want and you are not controlling the conversation. If you ask a question then they talk next about what YOU want!

2. Allowing me to feel as if I was buying and not being sold.

When someone says, 'Do you have this in red?' Don't say 'Yes!'. Instead, ask 'Would you like it in red?' I guarantee you my Afghan rug salesman would! Maintain control and let them buy. If you do, you are going to sell a lot of rugs (or whatever you sell). By the way, when he asked the question I laughed because I admired his style and, yes of course, I now have a new rug.

Ron White

No comments: