King of the Birds, Lord of the Skies

King of the Birds, Lord of the Skies
Gather ye rose buds while ye may, old time is still a flying;
and this same rose that you see today, tomorrow will be dying.
CarpeDiem: Seize the Day!
- Dead Poets Society

Friday, March 30, 2007

Prof John Nash 1994 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences Acceptance Address

Nash:
"Thank you.
I've always believed in numbers and the equations and logics that lead to reason. But after a lifetime of such pursuits, I ask,
"What truly is logic?"
"Who decides reason?"
My quest has taken me through the physical, the metaphysical, the delusional -- and back. And I have made the most important discovery of my career, the most important discovery of my life:

It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any logic or reasons can be found.
I'm only here tonight because of you [his wife, Alicia].
You are the reason I am.
You are all my reasons
.
Thank you".

(From: A Beautiful Mind, 2002)
My favourite lines are in red. I was moved to tears everytime I hear this speech.

No comments: